Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Prompt #7

This experience has definitely taught me a lot about my teaching identity. I have realized that I have a lot of patience for the little ones in my first grade class. I really enjoyed watching my teacher interact with the children especially during "rug" time. I was able to help a lot when they were doing work individually in the class room and I learned so much as to how to explain certain things to them and simplify questions for them to better understand. I even got to read a book to them and ask each child to read a page. I am hoping to go back to my classroom more as a helper rather than a reading buddy. I don't think the reading buddies program helped me as much as being in the classroom with all the students did. I got more of a feel for what the classroom environment was every day and what to expect in future classrooms that I visit.
When thinking about my teacher identity I relate most with Kahne and Westheimer's charity and change model. I discovered that I would hope to be a teacher that helps my students with the change model which understands and creates more social bonds. I want to benefit my students and I want to benefit from them as well. Charity shows the students that the help is a one way street, not both parties benefiting from them. I would like my students not to have a narcissistic look on life and if they were to help others they would be able to see how it would benefit them as well. I would most likely do projects and have them show examples to me of what they learned from each charitable experience.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Holly,

    Thank you for your feedback on Reading Buddies. I am torn myself about the difference between tutoring in a small group and interacting in the classroom as a whole.

    I like your connection to K&W. I would have liked to have read an example or two of how you experienced the change model.

    Continue to think on these things,
    Dr. August

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly,
    I had a very similar situation to you. Although I was not a reading buddy I did work one on one with a student for most of the time I was in the classroom. When I look back on that experience compared to the other observation opertunity I was given to work with the class as a whole I feel as though you get more of a feel when you work with all of the students rather than just a few. But likewise, it might be a good way for some future teachers to get comfortable in the classroom instead of jumping right on into the whole class. I hope working as a class helper works out better for you than being a reading buddy!

    ReplyDelete